Friday, March 9, 2007

March 9th



The first Dogwood tree! I saw this yesterday when I was driving Rachel to work but I couldn't figure out how to pull over to get a picture of it. Today, Dan was driving so he pulled over in the tennis courts so I could walk back to take the picture. Ok, the the people that owned the tree probably thought I was nuts but... My husband was told he could go barefoot when the dogwoods bloomed. Well, it only in the 50's so I'll forgo that!

*UPDATE: Ginger (from Louisiana) informed me that this isn't a Dogwood but a Japanese Magnolia. So I guess we can't go barefoot yet!

5 comments:

berrypatch said...

WAAAAHHH!!!! I want blooming trees here! Oh wait, we HAVE trees, but they need blossoms on them! :-) We still have about six feet of snow on the ground....sigh.....beautiful photo though!!!

Unknown said...

Beautiful shot! But I have bad news - that's not a dogwood. It's a soulangiana (saucer magnolia or Japanese magnolia) and it is one of my favorite flowering trees! Unfortunately down here in Louisiana, their blooming is just about over...the flowers don't last nearly as long as I would like them to!

Michele said...

Thanks Ginger! I first thought it was some kind of magnolia but then I second guessed myself. I guess I need a class on identifying vegetation in North Carolina.

Debbie said...

What a beautiful magnolia. We had one that somehow survived our extreme weather, but then it got magnolia scale. I fought it for 4 years, but the poor thing finally succumbed. They are so pretty.

Nice photo.

Unknown said...

There are very few plants I can identify, but soulangiana is one of the few and I refer to it by it's botanical name to boot! When my girls were very little, in spring when things would bud, they'd be in the backseat saying the names of all the few things I know: dogwood, soulangiana, azalea, red bud, Bradford pear. There is a gorgeous, fuzzy pinkish/red plant I've been passing the last few days - I need to take a picture of one and post it on my blog and perhaps someone can identify it for me!