Monday, May 28, 2007

May 28th

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY!


Part way through this weekend, I realized this was going to be a harder holiday than I expected. Every newspaper, every news report are filled with stories of war and young men who have died. So I knew I wanted to get away on the actual holiday. So today, Arthur and I went to Mt. Airy, NC. Yes, that is Mayberry from the Andy Griffith Show. It is one of my husband's favorite shows. I posted several pictures because I know that there many other secret Andy Griffith fans out there (I think it is the same people who like fried bologna). BTW, Andy Griffith grew up in Mt Airy and based Mayberry on it. It is an actual town!

Me outside the Darlin's cabin.


Wally's Service Station and, of course, the police car!


Mt Pilot (Pilot Mountain)


The Snappy Lunch. It was closed so we settled for Barney's Diner.


Floyd's Barber Shop


Gomer's Tow Truck!


Arthur living a fantasy! Lol!


About 10 miles outside of My Airy is Shelton Vineyards so we made a side trip there. I have never seen a vineyard. It was fascinating.


The oak barrels for aging the wine.


The vineyards also have beautiful landscaping and encourage people to bring a picnic lunch. Of course, it you'd like wine with your lunch they won't object!

We had a wonderful time. Then on the way home, while I was listening to a patriotic song on the country station, Ben called from Iraq! He had also called at 2 am but I am rarely coherent at 2 am. He wanted to confirm that I said it was OK for Dan to meet him in Florida on his leave. (That was the 2 am conversation) It was great hearing from him and he sounded good. Thanks everyone for praying for him!

3 comments:

DeEtta @ Courageous Joy said...

This looks like a fun trip. I'm so glad you got to talk to Ben.

Kathy in WA said...

Oh! We LOVE the Andy Griffth show. Definitely big fans here. Beautiful pictures. You were wise to get away and enjoy some sight seeing.

Cynthia said...

Love the pics... the old truck, the perfectly straight crop rows, and the mountain! Thanks for sharing.